Drugs, alcohol and tobacco use — Texas
Federal drug-free workplace requirements
Under the federal Drug-Free Workplace Act, employers with federal contracts must take several steps related to controlled substances in the workplace. Although drug testing is not mandated by this law, the employer must do at least the following:
- certify to the contracting or granting agency that the employer will meet specified requirements to ensure their workplace is free of illegal drugs
- make a “good faith” effort to maintain a drug-free workplace by complying with these requirements
- establish a policy prohibiting the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of controlled substances in the workplace (no specific format for the policy is given, however the policy statement must specify the consequences of its violation)
- publish the policy and provide a copy to the employees
- establish a drug-free awareness program to inform employees about:
- the dangers of drug abuse in the workplace
- the employer’s policy of maintaining a drug-free workplace
- any available drug counseling, rehabilitation...
Please call us at (312) 960-9400 if this is an error or if you have any questions.