Pandemic outbreaks — Texas
Employers play a key role in protecting the health and safety of their employees during a pandemic outbreak. A “pandemic” is a global epidemic. There have now been five such pandemics in the last century:
- Spanish Flu (1918)
- Asian Flu (1950s)
- Hong Kong Flu (1960s)
- H1N1 Flu (2009)
- COVID-19 (2019-present).
As many employers are now experiencing first-hand, a pandemic can have a major impact on business operations. For example:
- employees may be forced to remain at home to care for family members
- multiple employees may fall ill at the same time
- employees may refuse to leave their home due to sheer panic.
These and other potential effects underscore the importance of disaster planning, making it crucial for employers to have a pandemic preparedness plan to minimize the risk and panic of employees and, at the same time, provide continuity in business operations. Employers should:
- create or update a pandemic preparedness plan (PPP)
- provide employee training or a refresher course on the PPP