Kathy Speaker MacNett focuses her practice on management-side labor relations, employment law and related legislative and regulatory developments. Her practice combines preventive approaches to labor relations matters and representation of employers before federal and state administrative agencies and courts. Kathy utilizes her practical knowledge of the legislative, executive and judicial branches of state government to gain effective results for her clients. She represents public and private sector employers in a wide range of labor and employment law matters including workers' and unemployment compensation proceedings, FMLA issues, prevailing wage disputes, discrimination complaints, Affirmative Action audits, restrictive covenant enforcements, handbook preparation, unfair labor practices, union organizational defenses, collective bargaining negotiations, strikes, injunction and contempt proceedings.
Prior to joining Skarlatos & Zonarich, Kathy was a shareholder with the Harrisburg office of Buchanan Ingersoll, P.C. and associated with the law firm of Baskin, Flaherty, Elliott & Beren. She also served as the Research Director to the Labor Relations Committee, Pennsylvania House of Representatives, clerk to the late Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice, Honorable Roy Wilkinson, and Assistant Counsel to the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board.
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Dickinson School of Law, now Penn State, J.D.
St. Francis College, M.A. (Industrial Relations)
University of Pennsylvania, M.G.A. (Government Administration)
Immaculata College, now University, B.A., cum laude
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Bar and American Bar Associations
- Active in the ABA’s Federal Labor Standards Committee
- Board Member, Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority of Harrisburg
- Board Member, James A. Finnegan Foundation
- Member, Labor Employment Research Association, Central Pennsylvania Chapter
- Member, Legatus
- Capitol Area Neighbors Steering Committee
- Member, Harrisburg Catholic Elementary School
- Advisory Board, Historic Harrisburg Association
- Special Achievements, Awards, and Honors
- Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers’ Society, Inc. Board of Directors Service Award
- 2006 People to People China Delegate
- Reported Cases and Publications
- Contributing Author for numerous years to BNA publications on:
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- The Family Medical Leave Act
- Wage and Hour Laws: A State-by-State Survey
- Pennsylvania Chamber f Business and Industry
- Contributing Author for ACCR publication:
- Model Policies and Forms For Pennsylvania Employers
- Reported Cases:
- D&H Distrib. v. Thumma,13 A.3d 987 (Pa. Super. 2010)(Restrictive covenant enforcement affirmed without opinion).
- CEC Credits OnLine v. Unemployment Compensation Board of Review,946 A.2d 1162 (Pa. Comm. Ct. 2008), petition for allowance of appeal denied (2009)(Worker was a bona fide independent contractor, not an employee).
- Kraus v. Howroyd-Wright Employment Agency, Inc.,2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1254, Civil Action 06-975 (E.D. Pa. Jan. 8, 2008).
- Boyds Collection, Ltd. v. Stephen C. Chambliss, et. al,2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 13901. (M.D. Pa. 2005).
320 Market St., Suite 600W
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Phone: (717) 233-1000
Fax: (717) 233-6740