At Smith Anderson, we have a proud legacy of helping clients succeed for more than 100 years. We value our many long-standing client relationships and always appreciate the opportunity to welcome new clients to our firm.
- As one of the largest business and litigation law firms in North Carolina, we provide a full range of legal services to a diverse group of regional, national and international companies ranging in size from large public companies to emerging growth businesses.
- Our breadth of experience crosses national and international markets, with clients located in 23 countries and 43 U.S. states, positioning us to handle matters for our clients wherever they have operations.
- Our clients have access to an exclusive global network of business law firms that covers more than 100+ business centers in 40 countries and 30 U.S. states.
- We regularly work with and across the table from some of the most prestigious national and international law firms, and approximately one-third of our attorneys joined us from those firms. The level of knowledge and experience of our attorneys allows us to handle even the most complicated and sophisticated business and litigation matters.
- Our single location in the world-renowned, yet cost-effective, Research Triangle region enables a culture of collaboration, strategy and cohesiveness in support of our clients.
- We embrace diversity and inclusion. It is the goal of our firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee to seek, mentor, retain and help professionally advance diverse lawyers, as well as to maintain a firm culture in which differences are valued.
- A considerable number of our lawyers and practice areas are routinely rated at the top of their field in the most esteemed legal publications. We are especially honored and humbled for the exceptional rankings we have received from publications that use client feedback as the primary ratings source.
The trust and confidence our clients place in us is earned, so we invest wholly in creating lasting client relationships. We take the time to get to know our clients and their businesses so we can better bring practical, real-world solutions to business problems and help them reach exciting new heights. At Smith Anderson, we insist on integrity, we embrace diversity and inclusion and we routinely give back to the communities we are so proud to serve. We invite you to see first-hand how our skills and experience can enhance your business.
Employment, Labor and Human Resources Practice
Our employment, labor and human resources lawyers have received significant client, peer and business community recognition in such prestigious publications and ranking lists as Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America®, U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” and Martindale-Hubbell®. Our practice is one of two in the state to be recognized as Band One by Chambers USA.
Our experience with a wide range of employment, labor and human resources issues enables us to work with our clients to assist them in building and maintaining an employer-of-choice reputation. We do this while minimizing the burden of regulatory requirements and the distractions of regulatory investigations and audits, employee disputes and union organizing. In addition to compliance and risk-management counseling, we develop and conduct training programs for human resources professionals and line managers, offering a range of complementary compliance-support services. We also host an annual client conference that attracts more than 300 attendees each year.
When employers encounter litigation relating to employment discrimination, wrongful discharge or other employment-related issues, and when complaint investigations and compliance audits arise, we represent them with early risk assessment, dispute resolution services and trial advocacy.
Our clients include a wide range of regional, national and multi-national corporations, emerging businesses and regulated industries. We handle employment matters nationwide for many global and publicly-traded companies based in North Carolina and have frequently served as the lead employment counsel on some of their most complex, high-level transactions.
We operate as an employment and labor law boutique within a robust, full-service law firm. This affords us ready access to colleagues who focus their practice in such related areas as Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation; Environmental and OSHA; Government Contracts; Data Use, Privacy & Security; Tax; Corporate Governance; Non-Compete and Trade Secrets; and Intellectual Property.
Wells Fargo Capitol Center
150 Fayetteville Street, Suite 2300
Raleigh, North Carolina 27601
Kim Korando is recognized as one of North Carolina's leading employment lawyers by Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, Law and Politics North Carolina Super Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America(R) and Business North Carolina Legal Elite.
Kim leads Smith Anderson's Employment, Labor and Human Resources practice group and serves as general outside employment, labor and human resources counsel to public and private companies in a wide variety of industries including utilities, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, hospitals and healthcare, automotive, semiconductor, paper/cellulose and furniture manufacturers, insurance, banking, retail, hospitality, and food and beverage distribution, as well as municipalities and law...
Learn more about Kim Korando
Travis Hockaday has practiced with Smith Anderson since September 2003. His practice focuses on providing employment-related counseling and risk management advice to clients in a variety of industries, both public and private. He also has represented clients in state and federal courts and agencies throughout North Carolina and other jurisdictions. His experience includes defending employers against claims involving discrimination, wrongful discharge, retaliation, harassment and civil rights claims; defending wage and hour, ERISA, and other benefit-related claims; and representing clients in investigations conducted by, and proceedings before, both federal and state departments of labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S....
Learn more about Travis Hockaday