Nancy focuses her practice on the representation of management in both traditional labor and employment matters. She has defended employers in relation to discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination actions in both state and federal courts and before administrative agencies. Nancy also assists federal contractors and subcontractors in understanding their affirmative action obligations under Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act, and VEVRAA, developing and drafting affirmative action programs (AAPs), and defending OFCCP audits and charges of discrimination.
Nancy focuses her traditional labor practice on assisting airline clients in grievance resolution matters, including grievance arbitrations, and has represented management in union representation matters before the National Mediation Board (NMB). She also has experience negotiating collective bargaining agreements for air carriers under the Railway Labor Act (RLA) and in representing airline clients in federal court proceedings, OFCCP audits and agency complaint investigations.
Nancy counsels employers on a variety of issues, including employee terminations, drafting and negotiating employment and separation agreements, and Title VII, FMLA, FLSA, ADA and WARN Act compliance. She also drafts and reviews employee handbooks and policies, and has conducted workplace training sessions on sexual harassment prevention and LGBT law, policies and best practices.
Prior to joining FordHarrison, Nancy was a litigation associate at an international general services firm. Her representation of clients was focused on labor and employment matters.
After law school, Nancy served as a judicial law clerk for the Chief Justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court. Prior to law school, Nancy was a Teach for America corps member and taught sixth grade in Phoenix, Arizona.
Nancy is a co-founder of Style Up, Inc., a non-profit that provides professional clothing to disadvantaged young adults who are actively employed or seeking employment.
- Obtained a favorable decision in federal district court dismissing a claim brought by a former airline employee challenging an adverse arbitration decision.
- Achieved favorable arbitration decision for an airline client upholding the grievant's termination for threatening co-workers.
- Successfully negotiated favorable back wage and fringe benefit determination with the Department of Labor for a large government contractor client under the Davis Bacon Act.
- Prepared initial AAP for long term care client, facilitated implementation of AAP requirements, and successfully defended client during OFCCP audit.
- Achieved favorable decisions in discrimination actions involving retaliation, race, sex, disability, sexual harassment and age discrimination claims.
- Achieved favorable arbitration decision for a hospital system client in a grievance arbitration involving a dispute over the application of a "relatively equally qualified" clause contained in the collective bargaining agreement.